Dana Gould faces a pretty significant prison term after getting caught attempting to take photos or videos of a 13-year-old girl's underwear, reports the Daily Herald. On May 17, the girl's mother , spotted Gould trying to tape her daughter in a Wheeling store, and alerted security. Gould was not detained and left the premises while security was reviewing the footage.
Fortunately, in addition to being an alleged 'pervertrator,' he's also fearless. He went back to the exact same store on Monday of last week. A store employee recognized him, the police were called, and he was arrested.
The police discovered a video recorder with numerous images on the device. Gould later admitted to the attempted filming of the 13-year-old.
He has been charged with Unauthorized Video Recording, which in this case is a felony. Under the statute, it's illegal to:
- Record or transmit video of someone in a restroom, tanning bed or salon, locker or changing room, or hotel bedroom;
- Record or transmit video of someone in their residence;
- Record or transmit video or audio of someone in their residence when the video is taken from a device that transmits a feed to a remote location;
- Record or transmit video under or through someone's clothing for the purpose of viewing the body of or the undergarments worn by that other person;
- Place a device that records or transmits video in a restroom, tanning bed, tanning salon, locker room, changing room, or hotel bedroom;
- Place a device that records or transmits video of a person in their residence;
- Disseminate a video record or live video that he or she knows to have been made in violation of the above provisions.
There are a few exemptions, such as videotaping done for the purposes of law enforcement, and reporters broadcasting from the locker room. Whether the offense is a misdemeanor or felony depends both on which provision is violated and whether the victim was a minor.
For Dana Gould, he is charged with a Class 3 felony due to the victim's age. This carries a penalty of 2-5 years in prison.
- Find a Chicago Criminal Defense Attorney (FindLaw)
- Man charged with aiming video camera under skirt of teen (Trib Local, Chicago Tribune)
- Alleged Creeper Peeper Caught; Worked With Kids at YMCA (FindLaw's Chicago Criminal Law Blog)
- Child Pornography Found on Phone of Man Who Stalked Girl (FindLaw's Chicago Criminal Law Blog)